Author:

Jon

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Why These Posts?

By
on
September 19, 2020

“My name is Khaled. I don’t wish to alarm you, but watch your back, my friend over there wants to kill you.”

The first week of May 1986, Urumchi…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Intro. A Century of U.S Meddling in the Middle East

By
on
July 22, 2020

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”  …

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 1. Muhammed and The Great Sunni – Shi’a Schism

By
on
July 22, 2020

Before invading Iraq in 2003, George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld didn’t know the difference between the Sunni and Shi’a branches of Islam, much less why it…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 2. Sunni – Shi’a Today

By
on
July 22, 2020

First the demographics. Of the 1.6 Billion or so Muslims in the world, roughly 85%, 1.35 Billion, are Sunni, the rest, 15%, 240 million, Shi’a. In the Middle East,…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 3. 1919 Sykes-Picot Agreement: Planting the Seeds of Conflict

By
on
July 22, 2020

Even before World War 1 was over, two colonial administrators, Mark Sykes for Great Britain and François Georges-Picot for France, aristocrats both, carved up the defunct Ottoman Empire into…