Author:

Jon

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 2. Sunni – Shi’a Today

By
on
July 22, 2020

First the demographics. Of the 1.6 Billion or so Muslims in the world, roughly 85%, 1.35 Billion, are Sunni, the rest, 15%, 240 million, Shi’a.

Westerners who tend to…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 3. 1919 Sykes-Picot Agreement: Planting the Seeds of Conflict

By
on
July 22, 2020

Even before World War 1 was over, two colonial administrators, Mark Sykes for Great Britain and François Georges-Picot for France, aristocrats both, carved up the defunct Ottoman Empire into…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 4. 1947 – 1948. Al-Nakba: Partition of Palestine and Creation of Israel

By
on
July 22, 2020

Theodore Herzl

In the late 1800’s, Theodore Herzl and other Jewish leaders in Europe began pushing for the establishment of a Jewish…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 5. Syria 1949: The First, But Not Last, U.S. Coup Against Democratic Governments in Middle East

By
on
July 22, 2020

Syria was created as a French mandate after World War I as the Arab Kingdom of Syria,  but in 1946, with King Faisal as its nominal head, Syria became an…

Century of U.S. Meddling in the Middle East

Post 6. Iran. The 1953 CIA Coup Against Mosaddegh

By
on
July 22, 2020

In 1953, the CIA deposed Mohammed Mosaddegh, the Prime Minister of Iran, and replaced him with Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the man we call “the Shah,” whose…